Thursday, January 28, 2010

I was asked...."What brings you joy..."


During my time this Fall 2009 at the IMS Forest Refuge and Retreat Center, I had plenty of occasions to watch my own mind generate suffering in myriad ways. At a certain point in the retreat (5 weeks in to be more precise) my body basically "refused" to sit. As a result, I experienced intense vertigo. I could literally not "sit" without feeling as if I was either off the ground, upside down or in need of grabbing a wall to prevent a fall. I was nauseous and miserable.
One of my teachers suggesting that my practice was 'out of balance' and suggested that I stop sitting and start doing things that bring me pleasure and joy. In addition to long walks in the forest, I found my way to my pencils and sketch book, and below I share a few of the fruits of that joyfilled time, retreating from 'the retreat' as I'd known it and taking to heart the Buddha's teachings of the Seven Factors of Awakening, one of which is of course, joy.
Leaf drawing from a living Bodhi Tree.

Forest Retreat meadow Buddha.
Stupa at IMS Retreat Center.

This Buddha statue of wood sits in Joseph Goldstein's office. It was a delight
to slip in there daily after lunch and feel the effects of so many years and so
many lives of such dedication to the Dharma. Thank you to each and every one of
the IMS Bohdisatvas for your lives of service.










No comments: